dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum

Wisdom tooth extraction at 39

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: love2love  (8 years ago)
Hello,

Last week, I was told that my wisdom teeth needed to be extracted. The bottom ones were impacted. I don’t have any pain from them at this time. When I had an extraction a few years ago, I had nerve damage and it took two years for the nerve to heal so I am having second thoughts if I will have another extraction. Is it advisable to have them pulled? I am already 39 years old. Any advice is greatly needed.
User Level:
Student
Posted by: mdhola  (8 years ago)
Dear,
Extraction of third molar is still debatable issue among expert with different opinions. If it is causing harm to adjacent or opposing tooth (or gums) and/or has decayed in it, most of dentists will recommend to have them extracted. Furthermore, wisdom teeth has more tendency to develop bone cyst and other lesions around it. So, some dentists like to extract wisdom teeth as a preventive measure. Honestly, if i am at your place and my wisdom teeth are impacted in a direction that can damage my other teeth, i would pull them out!
User Level:
Dentist
Hello,

Last week, I was told that my wisdom teeth needed to be extracted. The bottom ones were impacted. I don’t have any pain from them at this time. When I had an extraction a few years ago, I had nerve damage and it took two years for the nerve to heal so I am having second thoughts if I will have another extraction. Is it advisable to have them pulled? I am already 39 years old. Any advice is greatly needed.

Surgical risks are greater with increasing age. Generally, the rule is that if a periodontal probe can pass and touch the impacted tooth, food and bacteria can,too. So it needs to be extracted in that case. If it is deeply impacted with no oral communication, it can be left, although there are still risks of cyst formation, especially on the lower.

Kim Henry, D.M.D.
Posted 8 years ago