Search Checkdent
dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum

Treatment plan for Upper 6 front teeth

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: Kristy17  (7 years ago)
I am 45 and have a crazy set of teeth. My bottom front adult teeth didnt exist so I have a removable flipper (which I hate,but the Maryland bridge came uncemented a few too many times). My two upper front teeth are ok. I am missing the lateral incisor adult teeth so as a kid the braces put my canines in place right next to my front teeth. Which I have been hating and self conscious for years as an adult. Also my upper premolars which are my third teeth back instead of 4th, are still baby teeth. No adult teeth existed.My upper front canines are what I call puffy and pointy and then next to them are these tiny caving in baby teeth. I do not have money for implants and fancy veneers.I have been reading alot about bonding. Would it be an option to bond my canines into incisor shaped teeth and would the teeth have to be shaved down like when you get veneers? Then I wanted to get the upper pre molar baby teeth pulled and have Maryland bridge put it on both sides. The teeth are too weak to be bonded Ive been told. Being upper teeth I think the Maryland bridge would hold as they are not getting alot of weight put on them from chewing as my lower bridge was. Maybe this isnt the perfect option for me, but is it possible? I go to the endo in a couple weeks to repair a couple fillings and am wanting to be prepared with my thoughts for fixing some teeth. Hope all this was clear. Thanks ahead of time. (My grandfather died at 75 with half a mouthful of baby teeth! My son has peg lateral incisors that will get bonded after braces. So its all in the family!)
User Level:
Dentist
I am 45 and have a crazy set of teeth. My bottom front adult teeth didnt exist so I have a removable flipper (which I hate,but the Maryland bridge came uncemented a few too many times). My two upper front teeth are ok. I am missing the lateral incisor adult teeth so as a kid the braces put my canines in place right next to my front teeth. Which I have been hating and self conscious for years as an adult. Also my upper premolars which are my third teeth back instead of 4th, are still baby teeth. No adult teeth existed.My upper front canines are what I call puffy and pointy and then next to them are these tiny caving in baby teeth. I do not have money for implants and fancy veneers.I have been reading alot about bonding. Would it be an option to bond my canines into incisor shaped teeth and would the teeth have to be shaved down like when you get veneers? Then I wanted to get the upper pre molar baby teeth pulled and have Maryland bridge put it on both sides. The teeth are too weak to be bonded Ive been told. Being upper teeth I think the Maryland bridge would hold as they are not getting alot of weight put on them from chewing as my lower bridge was. Maybe this isnt the perfect option for me, but is it possible? I go to the endo in a couple weeks to repair a couple fillings and am wanting to be prepared with my thoughts for fixing some teeth. Hope all this was clear. Thanks ahead of time. (My grandfather died at 75 with half a mouthful of baby teeth! My son has peg lateral incisors that will get bonded after braces. So its all in the family!)

1. Alas, I don't hold much hope for posterior Maryland bridges to stay cemented long.
2. It is a hard trick to make canines look like upper lateral incisors, but no doubt some improvement could be made. The most convincing result would be by crowning them.
3. My heart goes out to you. It is tough lacking so many permanent teeth, through no fault of your own. Sometimes genetics plays cruel tricks!
Posted 7 years ago