Dentists in your Area:
Fairfield, 06825
Distance: 2.4 Miles
, 06460
Distance: 12.9 Miles
Stamford, 06901
Distance: 15.3 Miles
West Haven, 06516
Distance: 18.5 Miles
West Haven, 06516-4310
Distance: 18.6 Miles
Danbury, 06810-6525
Distance: 20.1 Miles
Huntington, 11743
Distance: 20.3 Miles
Islip, 11751
Distance: 28.2 Miles
Hicksville, 11801
Distance: 29.8 Miles
Great Neck, 11021
Distance: 30.7 Miles
start your health research here
Search Checkdent
Search Forum

Treatment for a chipped tooth

User Level:
Posted by: theHelper  (9 years ago)

Hi all!

I chipped the back part of my upper second molar. The dentist said I needed a root canal and a crown for the tooth. I cannot afford these for now and my dental insurance is already used up for the year. Can I leave the tooth untreated until January next year? The tooth is slightly in pain but painkillers can manage it. I have been using Sensodyne for the sensitivity, which is working great so far. What should I do to keep the tooth from being infected? What other treatment methods can you suggest aside from root canal and crown? I would be thankful for your help!
User Level:
Posted by: mdhola  (9 years ago)
I would say that it is not good idea to leave tooth untreated as it might get abscess or there might be chance to get tooth chipped of again at a extent after which it is non-restorable!

Unfortunately, only alternative to root canal is extraction and get tooth replaced with implant or bridge which probably will cost equal or more.

Other option (not often recommended though), is you can get root canal done and get a filling on it and wait for the crown until January. Problem with that is, tooth sometimes can become substantially weak after root canal and can break. So, you might need to be very careful during chewing on hat side.

If you just want to wait, then probably it is better idea to observe that tooth very closely. if you noticed any signs of swelling or reddishness around gum or any mobility in tooth then get it fixed soon.

Hope it will help you!
User Level:
You should certainly see a dentist about this!
Posted 9 years ago