Dentists in your Area:
Fairfield, 06825
Distance: 2.4 Miles
, 06460
Distance: 12.9 Miles
Stamford, 06901
Distance: 15.3 Miles
West Haven, 06516
Distance: 18.5 Miles
West Haven, 06516-4310
Distance: 18.6 Miles
Danbury, 06810-6525
Distance: 20.1 Miles
Huntington, 11743
Distance: 20.3 Miles
Islip, 11751
Distance: 28.2 Miles
Hicksville, 11801
Distance: 29.8 Miles
Great Neck, 11021
Distance: 30.7 Miles
start your health research here
Search Checkdent
dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum
0

Root canal retreatment

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: hannalou  (8 years ago)
Good day!

My upper back molar had a root canal done three years ago. I have been having mild pain in it for a couple of months now. The dentist sent me to an endodontist who said there is an infection right under the crown and he put me on antibiotics for seven days. He will redo the root canal when I finish the antibiotics.

I can't decide yet if I'll have the root canal redone or if I should just have it pulled. Please help me make a decision. What is the chance that this tooth will not give me a problem again in the future if I will go with the expensive root canal?

I look forward for your answer. Thanks a lot!
User Level:
Dentist
It sounds like a sound plan. Upper Molars are tricky especially if you suffer from sinus issues. Upper molars usually have 3 roots and at least 3 and sometimes 4 canals. What you need to look for is that the first root canal had all three roots filled to the end of the root. If not the endodontist has a good reason to go back and look for a 4th canal or fill the existing canals to the end of the root. Without an obvious reason for the first failure you have to consider if the tooth shows and the cost of retreatment. Keep in mind Implants are very predictable but difficult to place in the upper molar areas due to the size of the sinus. Talk to your dentist about your options. I'll be posting a blog with photo's regarding this topic in a couple of weeks. Good luck www.AnxietyFreeDental.com
Posted 8 years ago
User Level:
Dentist
Hi hannalou!

Up until the #6 tooth I would definitely try and keep them as opposed to have them extracted. That is because your denture is completely functional with the first 6 intact. Most probably I would not revise the 8th, and if the 7th was in question it would depend on several factors.

For example, if you have a very wide smile and one could see a gap then I would fight to retain the tooth. Or if you have a healthy neighbouring tooth that would lose its support and consequently start drifting, I would also try to save the tooth.

I suggest you have a consultation with your dentist; s/he will inform you further regarding your specific situation and possible options.

All the best!
Posted 8 years ago
User Level:
Patient
Posted by: hannalou  (8 years ago)
Thank you for your helpful posts. I decided to keep the tooth. The gap will show when I smile. The endodontist assured me that a root canal treatment will solve the problem. I will just finish my antibiotics then we will proceed with the treatment.
0
loading