dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum

Pain still after 11 days tooth extraction/bone graft

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: cleverwabbit  (9 years ago)
Hi
I had #19 molar extracted and a bone graft over a week ago, I am still in pain, in the extraction area, my jawbone, my cheek, and when I talk too much it becomes sore or lean over, and have a kinda burning/throb as well. Before the procedure I started a course of Azithromycin, can't take pencillin and have been using peroRX 3x day. After reporting the pain 5 days after the procedure I went to see my DDS he put me on Clindamycin 150 (I am on day 6 of a 7 day course), and said it looked like it was healing extremely well, no dry socket, and didn't see a reason for the pain. He did say the tooth was big with long roots deep into my small jawbone and it was a difficult extraction. The underside of my jaw was bruised and it was probably from that. Since starting the clindamycin the pain has retreated slightly but is still quite significant. I was taking percocet but it didn't do anything but make me drowsy with pain, only when I take Ibuprofen 600 + does the pain subside for a bit but it keeps coming back.
Can this be nerve pain or muscle? Can a bone be bruised so bad that is hurts like this? Could this be from the needle going into a nerve? Can the bone graft be rejected? I had the opposite tooth #30 removed no bone graft a few years ago and didn't have this kind of recovery.
Thank you
User Level:
Dentist
Hi
I had #19 molar extracted and a bone graft over a week ago, I am still in pain, in the extraction area, my jawbone, my cheek, and when I talk too much it becomes sore or lean over, and have a kinda burning/throb as well. Before the procedure I started a course of Azithromycin, can't take pencillin and have been using peroRX 3x day. After reporting the pain 5 days after the procedure I went to see my DDS he put me on Clindamycin 150 (I am on day 6 of a 7 day course), and said it looked like it was healing extremely well, no dry socket, and didn't see a reason for the pain. He did say the tooth was big with long roots deep into my small jawbone and it was a difficult extraction. The underside of my jaw was bruised and it was probably from that. Since starting the clindamycin the pain has retreated slightly but is still quite significant. I was taking percocet but it didn't do anything but make me drowsy with pain, only when I take Ibuprofen 600 + does the pain subside for a bit but it keeps coming back.
Can this be nerve pain or muscle? Can a bone be bruised so bad that is hurts like this? Could this be from the needle going into a nerve? Can the bone graft be rejected? I had the opposite tooth #30 removed no bone graft a few years ago and didn't have this kind of recovery.
Thank you

Response to trauma can vary from surgery to surgery. The most important thing is that the graft is intact, so it cannot be a dry socket.

The fact that you bruised means areterioles were severed in the extraction. The surgery was doubtless was very hard. I don't know how old you are, but it is not that unusual for someone in their 30s and beyond to have a week or more of post-op pain with a difficult procedure.

The pain could also be from muscle spasm triggered by the procedure and/or injections. You might have this checked out. Muscle spasms can be helped by moist heat, massage, stretching, and muscle relaxants.
Posted 9 years ago
User Level:
Patient
Posted by: cleverwabbit  (9 years ago)
Thank you I am 45, I had an implant done on the opposite side# 30 at the same time and that has healed quite well but # 19, the pain is getting less, more like tenderness/sensitivity at the extraction site and a buzzy feeling in side of my face from my cheek to my lip/chin. Could this be nerve? I went to my DDS he took and x ray said he didn't see anything and it looked fine. I am done with the Clindamycin. If there is an infection, how fast would it resurface it the antibiotic didn't work?
Thank you for your help!
User Level:
Dentist
I think you should go to the dentist and have a proper check up.
Medical Tourism
Posted 9 years ago
User Level:
Dentist
I also recommend to visit your dentist. In case anyone feeling discomfort after dental implants, it's must to tell your dentist about your condition. Never take it easy!! consequences can be unfavourable
Posted 5 years ago