Search Checkdent
dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum

One implant for 2 teeth

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: irishborn  (6 years ago)
I'm missing the following teeth and was wondering if one implant can be used for two teeth. If there is enough bone, in these areas. 10&11, so could one implant work for them. 7&8 again one implant and the same for 2&3.

Thanks for any help.
User Level:
Dentist
I'm missing the following teeth and was wondering if one implant can be used for two teeth. If there is enough bone, in these areas. 10&11, so could one implant work for them. 7&8 again one implant and the same for 2&3.

Thanks for any help.

I ran across a case where a dentist had done exactly this. It surprised me, as implants are not supposed to receive off-axis loading. So far, it has worked. A lateral incisor is the ONLY tooth that should be hung off an implant like this.

Depending on bone quality and quantity, the safer way to do it would be with two implants. However, if done this way, there might be insufficient space between implants. Also important is the bite. It might NOT be advisable in a deep bite case.

Esthetically, if done this way, it could be pleasing in appearance.

Make sure someone very experience in implants and implant prosthetics does this case. I would not want an implant in the canine position shorter than 12 millimeters.
Posted 6 years ago
User Level:
Patient
Thank you for the information. I'm going this next week to get a 3D scan CT scan and see just what state I'm in with bone quality/quantity.

Considering the cost of individual implants. I might have to go with an overdenture for solution. So, I'm wondering porcelain or acrylic dentures, which is better and why?

Thank you.
User Level:
Dentist
Thank you for the information. I'm going this next week to get a 3D scan CT scan and see just what state I'm in with bone quality/quantity.

Considering the cost of individual implants. I might have to go with an overdenture for solution. So, I'm wondering porcelain or acrylic dentures, which is better and why?

Thank you.

That is quite a change- from two implant crowns to an overdenture.

There are no porcelain dentures. The teeth in them can be either porcelain or acrylic. Hardly any dentist uses porcelain denture teeth anymore, because the new plastic used in denture teeth is so hard. One thing to consider with an over denture- save as many natural tooth roots as you can afford.

If you can find a dentist who knows how to use them, Aichi Magfit attachments are the ideal way to connect an implant to an overdenture. However, the models of implants they are made for are very limited.
Posted 6 years ago
User Level:
Patient
Thank you for the information. I go this afternoon to get a consultation.

Saw the dentist today to see what my options are. They did a 3D scan and what is left of my teeth isn't good. Bottom line is there are numerous teeth that can't be saved. Tooth structure is bad and unable to put a crown on a couple. So, he has suggested I get an all on 4 on the upper and lower. He said I'd have a problem with just a regular denture in the upper because I've got a tori, that goes all the way back to the soft tissue. I asked what about doing just an all on 4 for the upper and a partial for the bottom (because of the money) he said that the partial is going to be moving when I bite down on food. It's going to be shifting. I don't understand that and didn't think of it while I was there as it was overwhelming. BUT, a lot of people have partials on the lower with real teeth, wouldn't they have an issue. So, is this something only people with all on 4's have an issue with? He didn't push me to sign up to get this done, but I do question if I got the real story about the partial. I was wondering could I do an all on 4 in the upper and an overdenture in the bottom? Until I can save in a couple years to do an all on 4 in the bottom. 22 thousand dollars just for the upper all on 4 is a lot of money. I can't spring for 44 thousand for both.

There was good news, I've got enough bone denisty to support the 4 implants. I asked is it possible I might need the all on 6 and he said absolutely not. Plus, my sinuses are fine, no need for a sinus lift.

I appreciate any advice on this. Thanks!
User Level:
Dentist
Thank you for the information. I go this afternoon to get a consultation.

Saw the dentist today to see what my options are. They did a 3D scan and what is left of my teeth isn't good. Bottom line is there are numerous teeth that can't be saved. Tooth structure is bad and unable to put a crown on a couple. So, he has suggested I get an all on 4 on the upper and lower. He said I'd have a problem with just a regular denture in the upper because I've got a tori, that goes all the way back to the soft tissue. I asked what about doing just an all on 4 for the upper and a partial for the bottom (because of the money) he said that the partial is going to be moving when I bite down on food. It's going to be shifting. I don't understand that and didn't think of it while I was there as it was overwhelming. BUT, a lot of people have partials on the lower with real teeth, wouldn't they have an issue. So, is this something only people with all on 4's have an issue with? He didn't push me to sign up to get this done, but I do question if I got the real story about the partial. I was wondering could I do an all on 4 in the upper and an overdenture in the bottom? Until I can save in a couple years to do an all on 4 in the bottom. 22 thousand dollars just for the upper all on 4 is a lot of money. I can't spring for 44 thousand for both.

There was good news, I've got enough bone denisty to support the 4 implants. I asked is it possible I might need the all on 6 and he said absolutely not. Plus, my sinuses are fine, no need for a sinus lift.

I appreciate any advice on this. Thanks!

The "All on 4" technique is done more often on the lower than the upper, because bone is denser on the lower arch. A torus can always be removed on the upper arch, although it takes a good while for healing.

I agree a partial or overpartial could be tried on the lower to save money. He doesn't have faith in these because so few dentists know how to design and fabricate them right these days. Short implants can be used under partial dentures to stabilize them. Ask him about this possibility.

I am not trying to steer you away from an All-on-4 fixed implant bridge, but as you found out, it is expensive. Also, teeth break on these things from time to time. They are NOT maintenance free. What do you do while the thing must be removed to fix something broken on it?

There are more conservative options, as you suspect, but in the end you have to decide what surgery you will tolerate at what cost, and what you might be satisfied with.
Posted 6 years ago