Distance: 44.1 Miles
Ellicott City, 21042-2801
Distance: 45.5 Miles
start your health research here
Search Checkdent
dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum

EXTREME pain after 2 teeth extraction & temp bridge HELP!

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: lynnmarie0123  (7 years ago)
yesterday, about 18 hours ago to be exact, i had my lower front center (24 and 25) teeth removed due to severe bone loss/periodontal disease, they were so wiggly/loose in the socket that during eating the TOP two teeth (8 and 9) would hit the loose bottom teeth (the 2 now extracted ones) .... so roughly 18 hrs ago (1:30 pm) I had the temp crown/bridge/pontic work done (with lots of drilling and blood) and immediately after the novocaine wore off, EXTREME pain started. Additionally, I received NO aftercare instructions, I received NO pain medication from dentist. teeth came out and they just sent me home. Result? i drank from a straw right away and ate spare ribs while still numb beacuse i was seriously hungry at that point. The procedure took 3-4 hours to complete. it was dinner time by then. I did not know then i was NOT supposed to do this. only through internet research did I discover this. So I called the dentist and say "WhatTheHell why am i in so much pain?" and office manager says, "You didnt get a pain killer script?" I say "NO!" was i supposed to get a script?" So she immediately calls the script in, i went to pick it up and started recomended dosage...one tablet Hydrocodone every 4-6 hrs... It is not helping. So I took one and a half tablets plus 600-800MG ibuprofen. that helped a bit. its now 6AM, dentist is closed, i'm in extreme pain, what can I do. Dry socket? i didnt brush, smoke or rinse thankfully. I DID use a straw though. Additionally the bite feels off-
it feels too high, roughness along gumline or bottom edge of crown???? causing tongue to be irritated & biting down causes pain,PLZ HELP:[ thanks
User Level:
Dentist
yesterday, about 18 hours ago to be exact, i had my lower front center (24 and 25) teeth removed due to severe bone loss/periodontal disease, they were so wiggly/loose in the socket that during eating the TOP two teeth (8 and 9) would hit the loose bottom teeth (the 2 now extracted ones) .... so roughly 18 hrs ago (1:30 pm) I had the temp crown/bridge/pontic work done (with lots of drilling and blood) and immediately after the novocaine wore off, EXTREME pain started. Additionally, I received NO aftercare instructions, I received NO pain medication from dentist. teeth came out and they just sent me home. Result? i drank from a straw right away and ate spare ribs while still numb beacuse i was seriously hungry at that point. The procedure took 3-4 hours to complete. it was dinner time by then. I did not know then i was NOT supposed to do this. only through internet research did I discover this. So I called the dentist and say "WhatTheHell why am i in so much pain?" and office manager says, "You didnt get a pain killer script?" I say "NO!" was i supposed to get a script?" So she immediately calls the script in, i went to pick it up and started recomended dosage...one tablet Hydrocodone every 4-6 hrs... It is not helping. So I took one and a half tablets plus 600-800MG ibuprofen. that helped a bit. its now 6AM, dentist is closed, i'm in extreme pain, what can I do. Dry socket? i didnt brush, smoke or rinse thankfully. I DID use a straw though. Additionally the bite feels off-
it feels too high, roughness along gumline or bottom edge of crown???? causing tongue to be irritated & biting down causes pain,PLZ HELP:[ thanks

I am not so sure that drinking through a straw caused dry socket and caused you the pain.

Bridges attached to lower incisors are not often done these days. Incisors are very thin teeth, and often when they are drilled down the root becomes very inflamed. A much better choice is implants.

Return to your dentist to adjust the bite, and see what has gone wrong. You may need root canals in the teeth anchoring your temporary bridge.
Posted 7 years ago
User Level:
Patient
Posted by: lynnmarie0123  (7 years ago)
THANK YOU! this has helped me tremendously. Your advice is appreciated....Lynn