Search Checkdent
dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum

Exactration of 2 lower teeth behind eye teeth

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: jayhawk4life  (6 years ago)
My daughter who is 13 1/2 years old is going in for oral surgery Tuesday to extract the 2 bottom teeth on the lower behind the eye teeth. I believe one was K? I could be wrong about the letter? Anyway both of these teeth have roots that are wrapped. She currently has braces on top and bottom and we thought she was ready to get them off in the 1-2 months. Now last time she saw her orthodontist he said we needed to see an oral surgeon because she still had these remaining 2 baby teeth! I was dumbstruck as I thought this should have been at least brought up 2 years ago!!! We saw oral surgeon and because of wrapping of roots she is under going general anesthesia on Tuesday at 7 am. We are nervous about the procedure itself but then kinda discouraged when he said he may have to leave some root tip depending on what he sees when he gets in there. Her permanent teeth are shown on xray beneath the surface. If he leaves root tip how will that effect permanent teeth coming up? Will they come up? Thanks for answering quickly if possible as we go in 11/11/14. Thanks
User Level:
Dentist
My daughter who is 13 1/2 years old is going in for oral surgery Tuesday to extract the 2 bottom teeth on the lower behind the eye teeth. I believe one was K? I could be wrong about the letter? Anyway both of these teeth have roots that are wrapped. She currently has braces on top and bottom and we thought she was ready to get them off in the 1-2 months. Now last time she saw her orthodontist he said we needed to see an oral surgeon because she still had these remaining 2 baby teeth! I was dumbstruck as I thought this should have been at least brought up 2 years ago!!! We saw oral surgeon and because of wrapping of roots she is under going general anesthesia on Tuesday at 7 am. We are nervous about the procedure itself but then kinda discouraged when he said he may have to leave some root tip depending on what he sees when he gets in there. Her permanent teeth are shown on xray beneath the surface. If he leaves root tip how will that effect permanent teeth coming up? Will they come up? Thanks for answering quickly if possible as we go in 11/11/14. Thanks

K is a baby tooth. It should have been lost age 11 to 12. Don't know why extracting that would be difficult or leave parts behind. Don't know why they sent her to an oral surgeon and not a general dentist. They are usually easy to extract. General anesthesia for this seems ridiculous to me.

You are right. This should have been done a long time back- before even starting braces. Now the orthodontics cannot be finished for another year or so while the premolars are erupting. Did you select a goofy orthodontist off of some DMO or PPO insurance list?
Posted 6 years ago