Search Checkdent
dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum

Dentures at 34????

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: london101  (8 years ago)
I am looking for some advice from others that may have had to have dentures at such a young age... At 34 I find it very difficult to make this decision however; I am in such pain and not to mention embarrassed of my smile. As a child my mother was not able to afford to take us to the dentist as a single mother which has caused all my problems as an adult. Most dentists probably seem to think that my oral hygiene is to blame or I am a drug addict which is NOT the case. All of my back teeth are shot; I have 5 missing that have just fallen out on their own and the rest I am being told just need to come out as well. I am from the Dallas area and there is definitely not a shortage of excellent dentist here, I have seen many to obtain multiple opinions and they have very different opinions. The majority is telling me to keep my teeth and just have implants put in, while the others are advising I just pull them all and get dentures. The cost associated with implants (est. over $10,000) is far more than I could ever afford. My only options at this point are either live with the pain and embarrassment for many more years until I am at age where dentures are the norm and will not affect my facial bone structure or bite the bullet, get dentures and not care as long as the pain goes away and am able to eat! If anyone has had dentures at a young age, I am very eager to hear how it worked out and if you think it was the right decision.

User Level:
Dentist
I am looking for some advice from others that may have had to have dentures at such a young age... At 34 I find it very difficult to make this decision however; I am in such pain and not to mention embarrassed of my smile. As a child my mother was not able to afford to take us to the dentist as a single mother which has caused all my problems as an adult. Most dentists probably seem to think that my oral hygiene is to blame or I am a drug addict which is NOT the case. All of my back teeth are shot; I have 5 missing that have just fallen out on their own and the rest I am being told just need to come out as well. I am from the Dallas area and there is definitely not a shortage of excellent dentist here, I have seen many to obtain multiple opinions and they have very different opinions. The majority is telling me to keep my teeth and just have implants put in, while the others are advising I just pull them all and get dentures. The cost associated with implants (est. over $10,000) is far more than I could ever afford. My only options at this point are either live with the pain and embarrassment for many more years until I am at age where dentures are the norm and will not affect my facial bone structure or bite the bullet, get dentures and not care as long as the pain goes away and am able to eat! If anyone has had dentures at a young age, I am very eager to hear how it worked out and if you think it was the right decision.

If you lose a finger or two of ten, you would not cut off all the others to get an artificial hand. Some fingers are better than no fingers.

If you lose a few teeth, some teeth are better than no teeth. Removable partials, as big a nuisance as they are, are better than removable complete dentures.

Every one of my patients who had all their teeth extracted could kick themselves in the arse for dong it. 34 is real young to wear complete dentures. Even if you have enough bone left to wear dentures at age 34, you may not have enough left in 20 years to do much with.

It is very, very rare that a patient cannot save at least one tooth in each quadrant in order to have partials or overdentures, either of which is FAR superior to complete dentures.
Posted 8 years ago
User Level:
Patient
Posted by: Steven  (8 years ago)
Over the years I have heard advice almost exactly the same as yours from every dentist I have spoken to. “Everyone of my patients who have lost all their teeth have regretted it” or words to that effect.

The only problem is that this advice has not accorded with my own experience.

I come from a background that probably did not place much importance on dental health or regular check-ups. Both my parents have worn dentures for as long as I can remember. They used to warn us children that unless we brushed our teeth at night we would face the same outcome as they and have to wear dentures. On the other had when friends or family encountered dental problems they were the first to advise that they should have their teeth out so they seemed to confirm, despite their warnings to us, a satisfaction with dentures and a preferenec for early extractions. Certainly from a child onwards I always thought my experience would be like theirs and I would lose all my teeth in due course as they had done. The prospect held no terrors for me. It was normal.

I never bothered to go to a dentist regularly which did not seem to matter much until my mid-thirties when decay and gum diseases started to be a problem. It was then that I asked to have my teeth taken out: a requested that was denied immediately for the reasons you have given. However, I did not really respond well to treatment, perhaps because my heart was not in it. So the inevitable happened and I had all my remaining teeth extracted shortly after my fortieth birthday.

I agree that the transition to dentures is not that easy or that quick. It takes months for your gums to really heal and stabilise and until then proficient use of dentures is compromised. All I can say, unlike all your patients, is that I do not regret losing my teeth. I have now been wearing complete dentures for about twenty two years and my present set about six years, which were relined about two years ago and continue to fit well. Over the years my dentures have simply become part of me. My dentures have certainly improved my appearance and are easy to maintain. I have had very little trouble with them unlike my natural teeth. Eating with dentures is different than with natural teeth but I can manage most things and enjoy my food. My dentures are reasonably stable andcontrolling them in my mouth is second nature to me.

All in all I am satisfied with my dentures and do not regret the loss of my teeth. I think my experience is much more usual than you would suppose which is why many denture wearers when surveyed have a positive response to their dentures and the loss of their teeth was both expected and often came as a relief. In fact in my view if people knew what well-fitting dentures were really like they would be more insistent on being offered them as an alternative to often painful, lengthy and expensive dental treatments.

Lastly I have no doubt that my general health improved immediately my teeth were extracted. That alone would have supported the decision to extract.

User Level:
Dentist
It is true. The majority of patients get used to dentures and can function with them reasonably well. A small number, about 5-7%, can NEVER adapt to dentures. Life for these people is pretty tough.

The question is: are you SURE you will not be in this 5-7%?

The danger in having teeth extracted young is not having enough bone left in 20-30 years for dentures. We see plenty of patients in this predicament. They have to spend thousands of dollars on bone grafts on implants, which makes the money they would have spent saving their teeth look like a pittance.

The trouble with people in general is few want to admit they made mistakes to their friends. Amongst friends, denture wearers often boast they were "smart" for having their teeth out and saving money by having dentures, with which they can "eat anything." However, when they talk to me, a professional, it is a different story. Almost all say they regret having all their natural teeth pulled. They wish they had at least saved enough to have partial dentures instead of full dentures.

Posted 8 years ago
User Level:
Dentist
Please read what the denture wearer wrote under the post "gagging and vomitting."
Posted 8 years ago
User Level:
Patient
Posted by: london101  (8 years ago)
Thanks so much for all the input, I am just really torn with the cost between the two. Of course, I would rather have the implants, but I can't afford to have them and it is very hard to find a dentist that is willing to work with payments. And as we all know Dental Insurance Sucks! It doesn't cover anything! I will try and keep searching for one that will help...just not sure how much longer I can go on.

It helps to know that it's not the worst thing that could happen, as most do learn to adjust.