Search Checkdent
dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum

Concerned after 3 months

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: mz.kiamarie  (6 years ago)
I had an extraction about 3 months ago, and the gum area is still not closed. Think there could be something wrong? I am wondering because I want to get my teeth cleaned and start the process for getting two crowns/caps on my chipped front teeth. Will they do it with the gum not completely closed?
User Level:
Patient
Posted by: jimhassel  (6 years ago)
I do not know how are you managing your oral hygiene,as you must be having a problem cleaning your mouth with open gums.I feel you need to go to a dentist right away and find a solution to your problem.If you want, you can go for a second opinion,This will help you make up your mind of what you want to do as i feel they will not cap it if there is gum problem.I would also suggest that you get yourself tested for sugar as i do not see any reason for your gums not to heal even in three months.
User Level:
Patient
Posted by: mz.kiamarie  (6 years ago)
No, I do not have any gum or periodontal issues. The gum space is healed just hasn't formed closed completely. It has no bearing on my dental hygiene procedures. Thank for the guess though.
User Level:
Dentist
I had an extraction about 3 months ago, and the gum area is still not closed. Think there could be something wrong? I am wondering because I want to get my teeth cleaned and start the process for getting two crowns/caps on my chipped front teeth. Will they do it with the gum not completely closed?

If the extraction was difficult, especially of a molar, it would not be so unusual for a socket not to be totally closed. The bone must remodel quite a lot after an extraction before complete closure can occur.

If in doubt, have the treating dentist look at it.
Posted 6 years ago