Dentists in your Area:
Denver, 80202
Distance: 1.5 Miles
Westminster , 80234
Distance: 12.1 Miles
Broomfield, 80020
Distance: 12.6 Miles
Lone Tree, 80124
Distance: 15.1 Miles
Castle Rock, 80108
Distance: 19.5 Miles
Longmont, 80504
Distance: 31.3 Miles
Greeley, 80634-3668
Distance: 47.5 Miles
Fort Collins, 80526
Distance: 57.1 Miles
Colorado Springs, 80917
Distance: 60.7 Miles
Colorado Springs, 80906
Distance: 67.8 Miles
start your health research here
Search Checkdent
dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum
0

Bone loss after a root canal

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: toothtaker  (8 years ago)
Hi there!

Two years ago, I had a root canal done on my lower right second molar because of some pain and infection. I did not have a crown put in. Two weeks ago, this tooth started to ache. I also noticed that it is slightly higher compared to the other teeth. I went to the dentist today who did some x-rays and the results showed bone loss around the root of the tooth. The dentist said we'll wait until the tooth develops some problem then he'll extract it. Should I go to another dentist and seek for a way to save this tooth? I do not want to have an extraction gap and I think implant is quite expensive. Please advise.

Thanks!
User Level:
Patient
Posted by: scarface34  (8 years ago)
Hello!

I would have it extracted now while you still have a good bone and get an implant. Usually teeth bone loss occurs at the site of the infection.
User Level:
Patient
Posted by: imshakira  (8 years ago)
Hi,

I agree. If the dentist says the tooth is no longer savable, it is better to extract the tooth now and replace the missing tooth before more bone or soft tissue is lost. If you'll wait for a problem that justifies extraction before extracting the tooth, you might develop other problems along the way.
0
loading