Search Checkdent
dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum

5 weeks Pregnant - just amalgam filling replaced

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: Sammy123  (8 years ago)
I have just found out I am pregnant today and I had an appointment with dentist 3 days ago to replace an amalgam filling. I will have been about 4 1/2 or 5 weeks pregnant when I had the dental work done and I am now very concerned amount the affect this will have on my developing baby. Especially since I have read about studies where mercury exposure can cause birth defects such as cleft lip or palate, leading to other disabilities. I have also researched that the roof palate of the mouth develops around week 5 and now I am certain I may have caused this birth defect without realising. I have not been able to speak with a doctor or midwife yet as I am waiting for an appointment after the weekend. But I did contact my own dentist who tried to re-assure me that he had replaced fillings on other pregnant women who were fine but he wasn't specific on trimesters /dates etc. Can anyone help put my mind at rest? I have also read that the mercury vapour is released over the next 1 -2 weeks after and while you eat?! Of course I am very concerned I may have harmed my baby, please help?!!
User Level:
Dentist
Don't worry, it is 100% certain that there is no problem for you or your baby, getting just one amalgam filling replaced. Any amalgam vapor will have been sucked up by the dental suction unit. Your actual exposure to mercury is far higher from foods such as fish, and from the environment. Far more important for your baby at this stage is avoiding alcohol, cigarette smoke and aspirin.

I guarantee you, the dental work is absolutely of no consequence.

Richard from www.dental-health-advice.com
Posted 8 years ago