Search Checkdent
dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum

2 Gingivitis questions. Please help

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: lizzierose1  (8 years ago)
Hello, I have two questions. A month ago my dentist diagnosed me with a type of gingivitis. It was just above 1 tooth and through use of Corsodyl (mouthwash and gel) the redness, bleeding and any pain has now gone. I wanted to ask does this mean that it is now permanently gone as all my symptoms have gone and everything seems back to normal? I also wanted to ask if it is ok to kiss my husband now if it has gone? I was told that it is unknown whether it is really contagious or not due to different peoples bacteria count etc so we have not (kissed) during my healing time but would it be ok now? I hope this question is ok to ask but I just want to check that it is a desease that can be completely got rid of and if once it is then nothing is contagious anymore. Thank you. Elizabeth
User Level:
Dentist
Hello, I have two questions. A month ago my dentist diagnosed me with a type of gingivitis. It was just above 1 tooth and through use of Corsodyl (mouthwash and gel) the redness, bleeding and any pain has now gone. I wanted to ask does this mean that it is now permanently gone as all my symptoms have gone and everything seems back to normal? I also wanted to ask if it is ok to kiss my husband now if it has gone? I was told that it is unknown whether it is really contagious or not due to different peoples bacteria count etc so we have not (kissed) during my healing time but would it be ok now? I hope this question is ok to ask but I just want to check that it is a desease that can be completely got rid of and if once it is then nothing is contagious anymore. Thank you. Elizabeth

Gum disease is like heart disease: you cannot ever conquer it completely. You just have to keep fighting it. Yes, it is OK to kiss your husband. He would probably appreciate it.

Long ago they used to do bacterial counts in the mouth to assess the risk of gum disease and cavities. That is hardly ever done anymore.

Interestingly, the biggest danger of transmittal of dental disease is between mothers and infants.
Posted 7 years ago
User Level:
Patient
Posted by: lizzierose1  (7 years ago)
Thank you very much for your reply!