What is a Flabby Ridge?

Watch Dental Video about Flabby Ridge

"Flabby Ridge" is a jargon expression for a fibrous ramus mandibulae.

Normally, the tooth-supporting ramus mandibulae – alveolar ridge – is osseous. After the loss of a tooth and a lack of stress at that spot, the alveolar ridge begins to regress. First, the alveolar ridge decreases in width; then it also begins to regress with regard to its height. This is called alveolar ridge atrophy.

Flabby Ridge

Flabby Ridge



How fast the bone regresses after the loss of a tooth differs in every person and depends on various factors. In some people, it takes months; in others, years. Sometimes, the bone regresses very quickly, especially in cases of ill-fitting prostheses and in cases of a rough extraction and associated injury to the tissue. Sometimes, though, there is no reason for the quick bone atrophy. If the bone regresses quickly, it’s replaced with connective tissue and a flabby ridge develops.

The flabby ridge is not to be confused with a prosthesis-related irritation fibroma, which always develops in an ill-fitting prosthesis as seen in this image – more on that in the video "prosthesis-related irritation fibroma".

Click here to see the video: Alveolar Atrophy


This post is also available in: German

on No Comments Yet

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.