All About Amalgam and Mercury in Dentistry

Watch Dental Video about Amalgam and Mercury

Amalgam discharge: Does it make sense or not?

Although we´re against amalgam, we think that “amalgam discharge” is for “the birds!” First of all, we would like to explain to you why we’re against using amalgam as a material in dentistry.

Amalgam is:

  • unaesthetic
  • the dentist and the dental personnel are the individuals who are primarily harmed when placing or removing fillings
  • the material undergoes changes over time, thus the tooth must be drilled again after several years, even in cases of optimal care

These are enough reasons for us to reject amalgam!

Now let’s talk about amalgam discharge. First of all, we must briefly address mercury poisoning. We distinguish between acute and chronic mercury poisoning.

In the past, acute poisoning occurred in toddlers when they played with and broke a thermometer and swallowed the nice silvery liquid. Acute mercury poisoning is mainly characterized by chemical burns. In our “thermometer” example, chemical burns occur in the mouth, the esophagus, and the stomach. Depending on the severity, scarring and all its respective consequences occur. What does this look like? Let’s stay with the esophagus, a muscle tube that transports food; in cases of extensive burns, the muscle is destroyed and scar tissue develops! The scar tissue leads to a narrowing of the “tube,” and in the worst case scenario, the esophagus would have to be removed and “replaced” by an intestinal loop, for example.

Thus, a “discharge” would be pointless in cases if acute mercury poisoning, because once it’s gone, it’s gone! This brings us to our next point, namely, chronic mercury poisoning. If human beings ingest organic mercury compounds in small doses over long periods of time, the mercury is primarily deposited in the brain, specifically in certain areas. This is the reason that chronic mercury poisoning always presents the same symptoms: Trembling hands, disturbances of equilibrium, gait disorders (almost identical to patients with final stage Parkinson’s), depressive moods, and limiting of one’s own capacity for thought. Dentists in particular have been affected by this fate.

So you see, mercury poisoning is not something that you might “believe” you have: Either you have it or you don’t. Mercury poisoning concerns severe medical symptoms! Now, various substances for ridding the body of mercury are available (even from many doctors). These include, for example:

  • Chlorella
  • Spirulina
  • Zinc
  • Vitamin C
  • Phytohypophyson

Many of these substances don´t even cross the intestinal barrier because they are dietary fibers that we eliminate undigested. None of these substances pass the blood/brain barrier. Therefore, it´s a riddle to us how a substance that doesn’t come in contact with the mercury in the brain would be able to bond with it and get rid of the mercury deposits. Also, we didn’t find any substantiated literature regarding this in the Cochrane Database, the keyword being “evidence-based medicine.”

Please don’t misunderstand us, but we want our readers to become familiar with the discharge mechanism. The authors would apply everything you read on this page to their own children; according to the data presently available, an amalgam discharge would not be included in that.

To date, there is no documented case of successful treatment of mercury poisoning by a hospital or medical center specializing in such poisoning. This is because mercury poisoning is not treated by “discharging,” it from the body, but only symptomatically: One tries to alleviate the discomfort caused by mercury poisoning. Unfortunately, based on today’s state of knowledge, this is all that can be done.

When we refer to “no documented case,” we aren’t talking about people suffering from an “intolerance” caused by their job, bullying, fears of loss, a lack of medical empathy, or private isolation in everyday life in Europe. Of course, these people feel better after being treated by kinesiologists, alternative doctors, and people who simply “listen.” We´re talking about people who have been poisoned by mercury!

Testing saliva for mercury – is this possible?

Again and again, one reads about mercury pollution, amalgam pollution, and mercury discharge. As a naturally occurring substance, the chemical element mercury (Hg) is widespread in the earth’s crust and atmosphere. Worldwide, about 30,000 to 150,000 metric tons of Hg from natural sources such as volcanoes, for example, is released into the environment. The burning of fossil fuels contributes to environmental pollution at a rate of about 10,000 metric tons of Hg per year. All human beings – particularly in industrialized countries – are contaminated with mercury, with occupational constraints being a significant factor. The release of mercury from amalgam fillings to the saliva depends on the type of amalgam, on the type of the surface finish (polished/unpolished), on the age of the amalgam filling, on the pH value of the saliva, and on the temperature.

The daily release of non-absorbable mercury from amalgam fillings is between 12 and 32 μg on average, while 5 to 20 μg of absorbable, organically-bound mercury is ingested with food every day. Non-absorbable mercury compounds are harmless for us since we can’t absorb the mercury! The danger lies in the organically absorbable compounds! The consumption of alcohol leads to an increase in the release of absorbable mercury vapor and increased storage of mercury in the liver. Cigarette smokers show higher mercury concentrations in the blood than non-smokers.

Bild Quecksilber Tropfen

mercury in the pure form

Also, the concentration depends on the time of day that the samples are taken and on the proportion of the organic substances in the saliva. Apart from that, scientists have found that chewing chewing gum leads to an exceptionally high release of mercury (contrary to the chewing process during regular food intake). Contrary to assumptions, no increase in mercury concentrations in the saliva could be shown after the consumption of hot beverages.

Due to these extensive studies on the absorption of mercury from amalgam fillings, today we know that a single examination (regarding the mercury content in saliva or exhaled air) or a series of samples cannot be used to determine a person’s exposure to mercury from amalgam fillings. In order to measure exposure to mercury, urine and blood samples are suitable. Regarding the screening test, an analysis of the mercury content in the hair can be used. However, the area of these testing methods is limited to scientific analyses or to incidents of heavy metal poisoning.

Thus, according to the current state of knowledge, there is no need for routine blood or urine analyses in connection with amalgam fillings. If the mercury content in urine is used to measure mercury contamination, measurements are to be conducted in 24-h urine samples, in accordance with the Federal Health Authority. Using special, highly sensitive analysis procedures such as the ICP atomic emission spectroscopy, the measurement of radioactively labeled mercury, or the X-ray diffractometry, other values may possibly be found. Basically, it can’t be differentiated whether the mercury existed as an element or as part of an inorganic or organic compound; however, knowing this would be very important for determining its toxicity.

Saliva tests are not regarded as standardized procedures for determining mercury contamination; specifically, there is no possibility for standardization (resting saliva/reflex saliva/stimulated saliva). There is no scientifically well-founded specification of limits, as are sometimes given by medical laboratory personnel. Data which is collected after provaction or únder extreme stress conditions is generally considered not suitable for evaluation. Unfortunately, information about amalgam is misused over and over by “health fanatics” in order to intimidate people and squeeze money out of them.

Amalgam fillings are certainly well-suited for most people, as the available data shows (life expectancy is rising and more and more amalgam fillings are placed). If you have the money, we nevertheless recommend switching to a different material (gold, titanium, or ceramics – not a synthetic compound) for your dental fillings, because:

  • Low amounts of mercury are released
  • Amalgam isn’t aesthetic
  • and there are much better filling materials that provide a longer-lasting seal – even proponents of amalgam can’t argue with that!

Click here to see the video: Amalgamate Discoloration

 

This post is also available in: German

on 1 Comment

1 Response to "Amalgam and Mercury"

  • Irine34 says:
Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.