dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum

Tooth 17 molar extraction and sinus issues

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: dooshra  (2 years ago)
Hello
My tooth #17 was extracted two weeks ago. It was a tooth with a big filling thats its wall was broken, no root canal treatment. It is planned to do implant there. The current status is that i feel that the opening to the sinus is not closed. Is this normal after two weeks?
Thank you
User Level:
Dentist
Hello
My tooth #17 was extracted two weeks ago. It was a tooth with a big filling thats its wall was broken, no root canal treatment. It is planned to do implant there. The current status is that i feel that the opening to the sinus is not closed. Is this normal after two weeks?
Thank you

#17 is a LOWER wisdom tooth. It has nothing whatsoever to do with your sinus.

NO ONE EVER puts implants in the place of wisdom teeth.

You are very confused.
Posted 2 years ago
User Level:
Dentist
Hello
Thank you

#17 is a LOWER wisdom tooth. It has nothing whatsoever to do with your sinus.

NO ONE EVER puts implants in the place of wisdom teeth.

You are very confused.
Posted 2 years ago
User Level:
Patient
Sorry I was wrong about the tooth number. It is the upper left molar, right next to the wisdom tooth.
User Level:
Dentist
Sorry I was wrong about the tooth number. It is the upper left molar, right next to the wisdom tooth.

If the sinus was torn and open, you will be able to expel air through the hole when you try to exhale through your nose with your nostrils pinched shut. A sinus perforation is very rare and I really doubt this is the case.

If you want an implant in this position, you need a socket bone replacement graft as soon as possible. Having enough bone to support an upper second molar is frequently a problem.

I must tell you that the upper second molar region is the hardest and least successful area to place implants. Success rates drop to 90% or under. That being said, I did one on my own mother, and it worked.
Posted 2 years ago
User Level:
Patient
Thank you for the reply. I did what you have suggested and i did not fill any air going through the hole. However, until few days age i did fill pain or discomfort when there was a difference in air pressure between mouth and nose like sucking from a straw or blowing air into a balloon. When I washed my mouth with salty water, some times, I felt the water is coming up my nose. I never felt it before the extraction.
About the graft: I was told by my dentist that I should wait 3 months after extraction and then, based on CT results, he will decide whether graft is needed.