dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum

Mouth still sore 10 days after deep root cleaning

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: doublehippy  (2 years ago)
Hi....
I've gone thru many, many dental procedures in my lifetime, but recently had a deep root cleaning done by a hygienist that was pretty disturbing. First of all, they could not get me numb enough (I think I had 5 injections total...4 on the bottom left quadrant). Seemed to take forever because we'd stop, inject, then try again. I had this same procedure done years ago and don't remember having such issues. Worst part of it all, is my mouth on the left side (side worked on) is still very sore....in spite of salt water rinses, using Glyoxide, etc. Gums still very tender (but not bleeding when I brush, thank goodness). I go back this coming Tuesday to do the right side...with much trepidation and fear (and I've never been frightened of a dental procedure!). The gal used the ultrasonic tool on all of the teeth...rather than just on the molars with deep pockets. I will tell her to just concentrate on deep cleaning the teeth that REALLY need it and use her hand tools for the rest. At this rate, my mouth will be sore for weeks. I had a crown lengthening procedure done several years ago....much cutting, sutures, etc. and never experienced such soreness afterward! Any thoughts? thanks.....
User Level:
Dentist
Hi....
I've gone thru many, many dental procedures in my lifetime, but recently had a deep root cleaning done by a hygienist that was pretty disturbing. First of all, they could not get me numb enough (I think I had 5 injections total...4 on the bottom left quadrant). Seemed to take forever because we'd stop, inject, then try again. I had this same procedure done years ago and don't remember having such issues. Worst part of it all, is my mouth on the left side (side worked on) is still very sore....in spite of salt water rinses, using Glyoxide, etc. Gums still very tender (but not bleeding when I brush, thank goodness). I go back this coming Tuesday to do the right side...with much trepidation and fear (and I've never been frightened of a dental procedure!). The gal used the ultrasonic tool on all of the teeth...rather than just on the molars with deep pockets. I will tell her to just concentrate on deep cleaning the teeth that REALLY need it and use her hand tools for the rest. At this rate, my mouth will be sore for weeks. I had a crown lengthening procedure done several years ago....much cutting, sutures, etc. and never experienced such soreness afterward! Any thoughts? thanks.....

It could be that the scaling triggered an intraoral outbreak of Herpes ulcers, which are very tiny yet very sore. They also take about 10 days to heal. This happens occasionally and is nobody's fault.

But if this is not it, perhaps taking Ibuprofen or a more powerful anti-inflammatory med BEFORE your next appointment will produce less post-op pain.
Posted 2 years ago
User Level:
Dentist
All due the respect Kim but she is complaining about "anesthetics" not herpes symptoms.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We cannot despair of humanity, since we ourselves are human beings.
"Albert Einstein"

My Dental Hygienist and Teeth Whitening Toronto blog

Posted 2 years ago
User Level:
Dentist
Hi....

Deep Root cleaning means the hygienist will have to insert Ultrasonic tips or hand scaling instruments deep under the gums to get the job done properly. Unfortunately your gums will be sore afterwards. They should heal between 4-7 days.
If you still have issues with your gums after this period go back to the dental office you last visited and have them investigate this problem. I don't know your case and it is hard to determine the diagnosis here.
Regarding your issue with local anesthetics. Yes you are right, a local anesthetic should have blocked any discomfort during the treatment. The fact that it didn't means that they were not injected on the right spot. It happens sometimes so make sure they get it right next time. Lidocaine LA should last 20 minutes.
If your hygienist did root planning with just an ultrasonic scaler i would strongly recommend you to find another office. It is absolutely unacceptable to claim successful root planning without manual hand scaling. Ultrasonic scalers are used to remove up to 80% of the calculus, detailed work is always done by hand scaling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We cannot despair of humanity, since we ourselves are human beings.
"Albert Einstein"

My Dental Hygienist and Teeth Whitening Toronto blog

Posted 2 years ago
User Level:
Patient
Posted by: doublehippy  (2 years ago)
Thanks so much for responding. Update: My second visit wasn't so bad. I felt some discomfort, but toughed it out because I didn't want injected repeatedly. The hygienist did not use a hand tool to scale...just the ultrasonic tool. She then irrigated the gums with some sort of medicine. I go back in August for a follow-up check. Again, thanks for the input!
User Level:
Dentist
All due the respect Kim but she is complaining about "anesthetics" not herpes symptoms.

Reread the post. She complained about pain DURING the procedure, due to incomplete anesthesia, THEN pain AFTER the procedure.
Posted 2 years ago