dental-videos
DENTAL FORUM
Search Forum

Gum disease for 18 months old?

User Level:
Patient
Posted by: findhelp  (2 years ago)
Hello!

My daughter is one year and 6 months old with bright white teeth. She woke up one morning with swollen and bleeding gums. I took her to the ER and I was told that it maybe caused by a reaction to a viral infection. They prescribed Amoxicillin for 10 days. It has been 6 days and the bleeding hasn’t stopped. Is it possible that my daughter has a gum disease at her very young age? What else could be happening to her? Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.
User Level:
Student
Posted by: ghnane  (2 years ago)
Hello,
It is very unlikely for your daughter to have gum disease at that age. I would consult with a pediatrician also to make sure her teeth are not carious or that there are no infections.

It may be that she is allergic to something. A pediatrician will be more knowledgable and can examine your daughter and even run some lab tests.
There are some autoimmune disorders that result in bleeding and fragile gum tissue.
User Level:
Dentist
Hello!

My daughter is one year and 6 months old with bright white teeth. She woke up one morning with swollen and bleeding gums. I took her to the ER and I was told that it maybe caused by a reaction to a viral infection. They prescribed Amoxicillin for 10 days. It has been 6 days and the bleeding hasn’t stopped. Is it possible that my daughter has a gum disease at her very young age? What else could be happening to her? Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

This is typical with the first exposure to the Herpes virus, which is universal in humans. Symptoms may hang on for 12 days, and the child might have a fever. Antibiotics like Amoxycillin have no effect. Sooth lidocaine mouthrinses are about all you can do.
Posted 2 years ago